Curious... whats the next phase?

callie07
on 11/4/08 6:05 am
Hi Everyone,

After surgery, my doctor had me on all clear liquids for the first week.  The second week I was allowed protein shakes, yogurt, oatmeal, cream soup, etc.  The third and fourth week I'm allowed chicken salad, egg salad, some fish, crab meat, potatoes, sweet potatoes, applesauce, etc.  After this there is no diet listing to follow.  I actually go back for my check-up next week to find out whats next.  But I'm too curious to wait til then to find out, does anyone know what the next step is?  I'm so excited to try some other foods.  Its fun to think ahead and figure out what will be next for me.  Well, if anyone has an idea - let me know.

Thanks,
Callie 
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/08 11:50 am
Callie,

Every surgeon is going to be different, but from what I can remember (and any Brader patient from 2 years ago can correct me on this)  I was on 3 weeks of full liquids, two weeks of pureed and one week of soft foods...then it was food as tolerated, with a concentration on protein. 

.Heather
Shannon O.
on 11/4/08 11:55 am - Reading, PA
I would just wait for your follow up visit... some times the docs move you up a couple of weeks eating wise... which is what happened to me... I only had one week and half of full, then a week of pureed, then a week and half of soft etc... so I was eating real food faster than some others... so if differs from each doc and each patient....

Pam Hart
on 11/4/08 6:23 pm - Easton, PA
You'll definately need to find out.

Mine was:

Week one:  Clear liquids
Weeks 2 and 3:  Full liquids (yogurts, milk, shakes, etc)
Week 4:  Pureed things (anything in a food processor broken down to baby food consistency, no lumps...including meat and what not.  Sounds gross but was a nice change of pace)
Week 5:  Soft things like ground meat, cheesesticks...anything that can be cut very easily w/ a fork
Week 6:  "Regular" food including regular steaks/chicken breast...as long as it fell in my fat content.

It sounds like your doc skipped the pureed stage...so you might be able to have "regular" food soon.  Although..even a year out...most of my meals consist of the soft foods w/ some chicken breast and what not thrown in for good measure.

Don't rush the stages...I know it's exciting - but when you introduce new and different texture foods...your pouch might not be nearly as excited as your brain....

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
callie07
on 11/4/08 9:42 pm
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the information.  I wasn't going to try anything I was just excited to hear about what might be coming next.  I've had pretty good luck with everything I've tried so I'm just looking forward to the next stage!

Take care,
Callie
Melanie B.
on 11/4/08 11:31 pm - Doylestown, PA
My schedule was similiar to the others.

I'm 10 weeks out and still have a VERY hard time with "regular" food.

I know after so many weeks on liquids I was begging for food, but if you're anything like i was "regualr" food ain't all it's cracked up to be.

good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views